Sunday, March 14, 2010

Just A Pretty Face.. The Cupcake Cafe NYC


Looks Aren’t Everything When It Comes To Cupcakes

http://www.cupcakecafe-nyc.com/

When I approached the Cupcake Café on 9th avenue in New York City, I was immediately taken aback. The café looked like it had been transported from some locale in the French countryside and deposited in the middle of Midtown Manhattan. The décor was rustic and shabby perhaps chic to some. The Cupcake Café is lovely in it’s quaintness. However, we did not come there to soak in the ambiance. Our mission was cupcakes.

The case was filled with the most adorable cupcakes in either chocolate or vanilla with delightful flowers piped on top. I couldn’t contain my giddy behavior as I practically skipped up to the counter to order. Anne chose chocolate mocha cupcake and I chose a vanilla cupcake.

Looks aren’t everything. They tasted HORRIBLE! As beautiful as these cupcakes are, they do not live up in the flavor department. They are akin to a dumb model. A gorgeous woman who doesn’t know how to locate at least 10 states on the map. These cupcakes are JUST a pretty face. The frosting was about the only palatable part of the cupcake.

It is rare for me to take a few bites of a cupcake and throw in the towel, but I was forced to do just that. There was no way in the world I would have been able to choke down this travesty of a confection. So we let them fall where they stood and left.

The Verdict

The Cupcake Café makes beautiful cupcakes, which should be used for photo shoots and nothing else.
Caio~

2 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't describe why the cupcakes were so bad. I am curious about your experience with their flavor...what it was like?

    From the photos, the cupcakes look very pretty, especially since the "flowers" are real icing rather than nasty fondant toppings as we usually see, and I like that there's a review, but would prefer if you gave more details on why the flavor was bad.

    I am left mystified, wondering if it was because the cake was too dry, the icing was like a big mouthful of sweetened Crisco or something else. Since the photos are so pretty, my curiosity is intense about where this bakery went wrong with taste. lol

    Just a friendly observation from someone (fellow blogger and foodie, as well) who just came across your blog.

    I've enjoyed the photos you've provided. Very cool. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cupcake cafe uses real butter in their buttercream, somewhat like french buttercream only the recipe contains whole eggs. The icing is crafted out of whole eggs, sugar, vanilla and butter. For some people, it's not sweet like Magnolias or Crumbs, but has a delicate flavor unlike ANY other in Manhattan. I LOVE cupcake cafe but maybe because i from Japan so I generally find most American desserts to be over-sweetened.

    ReplyDelete