Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Yuck has a name and it is BabyCakes NYC






I had seen quite a bit of buzz about BabyCakes NYC cupcakery. Despite the torrential rain, I was elated to try a new cupcake bakery. So we trekked all the way across town in weather that would cause Moses to stay inside, for cupcakes.

I was delighted to enter BabyCakes Cupcakes in New York City. The shop is small but everyone is so friendly and welcoming. I eagerly took in all of the cupcakes and made my selections pretty quickly. I did notice the top row of cupcakes were vegan cupcakes of which I wanted no parts of. The other two rows had little signs explaining their ingredients. I didn’t bother to read them closely as I am a cupcake eating professional.

As I was taking in the cutesiness of the shop, I started reading this large plaque on the wall concerning the philosophy of BabyCakes Cupcakes.. I will quote directly

In a city dominated by cupcakes overflowing with sugar, flour and butter cream, it’s easy for those with persnickety diets to feel left out. BabyCakes offers all-natural, organic and delicious alternatives free from the common allergens: wheat, gluten, dairy, casein and eggs. Rest assured, all sweeteners have been chosen responsibly and used sparingly. White sugar will never be found in our bakery, nor will we ever use toxic chemical sweeteners. Instead, most products are sweetened with agave nectar—a natural syrup from a cactus which is low on the glycemia index and often a safe alternative to most non-insulin dependant diabetics. Occasionally, unprocessed and unrefined sugar is used in certain goods, although sparingly.”


Can I just tell you how horrified I was? No sugar? No flour? No lovely butter cream? Call Paula Deen to get me out of this place! They took out all the things that make cupcakes worth eating! I’m southern! Give me sugar or give me death! I should have done my homework and read more about this bakery before I practically drowned trying to get there.


When the “cupcake” was handed to me I gave it the most suspicious of looks. I just did NOT trust this pseudo cupcake AT ALL. Against my better judgment, I took a tentative bite.


All I can say is DISGUSTING! There are other things I can say but I am trying to be somewhat nice. I left mine on the plate minus a tinny mouse bite. The rest of the day went downhill until I atoned the Sugar God. Eating a cupcake without sugar angered him and I needed to repent.

The Verdict

BabyCakes Cupcakes is a great place for people who have specific diets, food allergies, and healthy eaters. Also it is a lovely place for people who are diabetic, or lost their sense of taste. For anyone who likes sugary products, skip this place lest you anger the Sugar God. He is a jealous vengeful spirit.
Caio~
La Contessa

No comments:

Post a Comment